Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Limited News Interaction

A distrust of news companies and a disinterest in their presentation and content has led me to dissociate with typical news sources and seek and interact with only media that interests me. I believe that no news source can provide the definitive truth on any event they are reporting and that every company is inclined to some bias or agenda. With a myriad of controversies over credibility and bias ranging from The New York Times to Fox News, I have found myself in confusion over who to trust and with a slight dislike of news sources. I have even dissociated myself from local news channels, as I find much of their reports include acts of violence and tragedy. My daily intake of global news extends no deeper than scanning the headlines of CNN.com as it appears on my homepage. My interests tend to be mainly focused on sports, rock climbing, and music. I watch ESPN to stay in touch with recent developments and to follow my favorite teams. I subscribe to Rock and Ice magazine, which exposes me to information on different elements of the climbing world. I never listen to the radio and instead only focus on my favorite bands and hear about new music through friends and word of mouth. Due to my distrust and confusion of media sources and my limited, focused interaction with the media I have little exposure to world events and developments. And from this narrow focus I feel that the media does not press on me or sell me anything that I am not already interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment